8. Video Facility Infrastructure
We learn about the variety of standards and guidelines for digitizing analog videotapes.
Lectures & Instructions
Videotape and playback equipment
Minimum viable playback station for videotape
Considerations for DUY and outsourcing – expertise, workflows. efficincies
Assignment: Consumer video formats
Resources & Assignment
Standards & Guidelines:
- IASA TC-06 2018, Part D. Planning, Setup, and Workflows for Video Digitization overview + sec D.1.3.1 Description and background: digitizing system setup and testing
- IASA TC-06 2018, sec. D.1.4.1 Playback of source materials
- Resources listed in IASA TC-06 2018, sec. C.1.2. Field Guides to the Tapes: Online Resources with Illustrated Descriptions
- California Audiovisual Preservation Project. Audiovisual Formats: A Guide to Identification. 2013.
- Texas Commission on the Arts. Videotape Identification and Assessment Guide. 2004.
Learning Unit Readings:
- Blewer, Ashley, et al., Minimum Viable Station Documentation.
- Wikipedia: Videotape
Assignment Case Study: VHS/S-VHS and BetaMax – two consumer formats